Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Binder Books

Bookmaking is so enjoyable for me.  I find I can get going easily and just loose myself in making books.  It is so satisfying.  The Bind-it-all system makes it easy to get inspired.  For instance when I saw this paper knew what to do with it. My daughter needed a graduation gift for her friend and I was planning on making a journal for her and enclosing a set of fun Sakura Gelly Roll Stardust pens.  I adore this Anna Griffin paper and knew it would make a fabulous book.  Well, I was right.  But I got so swept up in the beauty of this paper I didn't pay attention to my reckless cutting of the back cover and there it was....a catty wompus cut of the binding holes.  Bummer. 
Thinking quickly, I cut a strip of the fab paper and adhered with glue stick it to the edge and wrapped in around the board.  Next I cut a strip of the inside paper and glued it on the other side with, what else?  Gel medium....a healthy application which you can actually see the in the photo and when that was dry I used a sharp blade to cut right along the edge.
It turned out that this solution made the book look almost perfect.

***I made this book using 5x7" blank index cards.

 I was already making two other books along with this one so I continued on to the next few books.
In this picture you can see some copies of antique botanical illustrations that are cut  into a squares. I made a book with smaller 4x6" blank index cards and cut them into squares.  I used Shakespeare text pages for the inside covers and edged them with green ink.  This book is will be listed in my Etsy shop.
    
I next made another botanical inspired book again with Anna Griffin paper and I randomly stamped some script in the background and with a nod to my favorite city, stamped the postmark in the bottom right and finished by edging the covers with rose ink.  Lovely.  This one measures 4x6" with a brass finish binder ring. Also in my Etsy shop. Thanks for visiting.

1 comment:

  1. Once again, Autumn, your work is just beautiful.. I love what you did here. Do I feel a workshop coming on?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...