Sunday, December 12, 2010

Partridge in a Pear Tree

I get together once a month with my Hooker friends (yes that is rug hooking) and in December we do our holiday party.  We do a gift swap with a different theme each year and this year the theme was 12 Days of Christmas.  The gift has to be hand-made, either by yourself or another artisan.  As much as I wanted to do some kind of fiber art pillow or table mat in a primitive style that our group loves so much, I just couldn't get myself to the place of creating something inspired.  
So, I let myself be pulled into a natural direction of something I do love....yes, that certainly would be stamp carving, and there I again  found my inspiration. I played with several ideas after I got my partridge and pear carved.  The fiber did call me as well, I used some of that fabulous wool thread to machine stitch onto some manila shipping tags. I tried different attachments to the tags, brown satin ribbon or strips of this green damask fabric  I stayed with the satin ribbon and included this set of four tags in my gift. Using several colored inks on one stamp gives a great detail to the stamped impression.     
 Then for some quick and easy pieces I used the partridge and pear stamp and one of my flourish stamps for the tree branch. A similar stamp is available for sale in my Etsy shop. After stamping the text background I simply used one ink color for each stamp and edged the tags with creamy brown chalk ink.  For these I couldn't resist adding glitter, I sprayed each tag with a light coat of matte sealer and sprinkled with some clear iridescent glitter, it was the perfect bling effect.  You may see it slightly in the photo below. This set I gave to our hostess.
The gift that I ended up making was a set of eight Christmas cards, that have a folk art style tree made from strips of brown tweed wool.  I stitched the tree down on a white panel got busy stamping. I used the wool thread for attaching the panel to the card. I love the fibery look of the wool thread.  The partridge even got some shimmer with an accent of blue foil on her wings, sorry you cannot see that here. After I was done making the card I didn't think it looked very much like Christmas.


My son was visiting me in my studio right after I finished the set and asked him what he thought and he suggested stamping a holly sprig in the upper right corner.  I wasn't sure it would work in the composition.  I had a sample card I was working on and he got me to try it and it worked beautifully. 
 Thank you Abraham, you were right the holly made it look like a Christmas card.  I used the excess card stock  scraps and  created some more tags.  We all need gift tags this time of year and I made these quickly. These tags make great, easy gifts as you go for holiday visits and get togethers and you need something uniquely yours to give.
 I hope you are all inspired to make something for giving this season.

1 comment:

  1. They all turned out so gorgeously! You really have a talent for stamp carving.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...