Sunday, August 7, 2011

Summer Journal 2011 - 10th Anniversary, More Pictures

Well, here we are with August in full swing and I promised more pictures of this year's Summer Journal, created in the style of my Quilted Collage Journal (PDF Tutorial available here). But with this edition I used a lot more patchwork piecing. Clearly I was in a green kind of mood and I chose all the fabrics that I love.
 Above is the full front cover and below is the full back cover. 
If you look closely you can see I embroidered the number ten on the back commemorating my tenth year of this Summer Journal (it is green thread on green fabric, so it is somewhat hidden). I outlined the number with metallic floss, which is a bit tricky to work with and then I added ten french knots using olive floss and one strand of the metallic floss.

Above is a very small green metallic star my teenage son was kind enough to stitch, see this blog post for his other two embroidery contributions. My daughter couldn't be bothered  this year, but at least she put her mark on last year's journal, you can see that blog post here. And if you want to see my husband's contribution, just pick up Jane Davies' latest book Adventures in Mixed Media where she features my Summer Journals and you will see my husband's handwritten entry in 2009. He is always is happy to do Summer Journal entries complete with is much loved drawings of his stick figures representing our families activities.
Here (below) you can see a very thin layer of Angelina Fibers that I stitched across the front cover. I was going to add a title here but I never found the right lettering.



 These numbers are from Tim Holtz's Grunge Board collection (Mixed Minis), painted with Olive Metallic Lumiere, they are stitched on two layers of a sheer two-toned organza ribbon. 
The last pictures are of my quilted pockets which are on the inside covers.



 More accents with Angelina Fibers. 
As you can see I use all sorts of embellishments, threads, stitches, beads, charms and sequins to create a real quilted 'collage'. And of course I stitch on the pages. It makes for a rich art journal.
Thanks for stopping by and check back this week as I will be celebrating the anniversary of my blog with some giveaways. 



1 comment:

  1. You're book is so inviting.. just beautiful. I love that you've created a tradition that the family does just a touch of something to your book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...