Monday, March 19, 2012

Make Your Own Decorative Tape

decorative tape
I have been meaning to share this with your bloggers for some time, and kept getting sidetracked. So finally here it is. After acquiescing to my new found love of washi and decorative tapes, which are all over the paper craft world these days, I wanted to create my very own to keep my purchasing more to a minimum. You may remember I did a post last August showing stamped masking tape, see it here.
Now, clearly these homemade printed tapes do not have the tissue paper feel that those lovely Japanese washi tapes have, but they look nice and are effective and economical way of adding design your collages.
So, here is the simple and creative way to make your own decorative tape. All you need is masking tape and some kind of pattern printed or stamped on paper. This is very straightforward,
1. apply the tape to the pattern paper
2. burnish well with the back of your fingernail, or use a discarded gift card.
3. remove the tape and reveal the pattern transferred to the tape.
Painted and stamped
Decorative tape    
Stamped Patterned paper
decorative tape
There you go!  Now, obviously the sticky on the tape is used so when you want to apply it to a surface you must use adhesive, such as glue stick, gel medium or matte medium.
You can use printed scrapbook paper making it super easy, like I did here with the piece on the left. 
decorative tape
I could still always use more washi tape anyway, but this is rather satisfying to make my own.

3 comments:

  1. Autumn.. I love this..just great. Never thought of transferring to masking tape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an excellent idea! Thanks a lot for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I guess it is a transfer, Judy. thanks I didn't think of that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...