Friday, August 31, 2012

Stamp Carving + Small Flower


Recently I was carving some small stamps for a gift for by daughter's friend. So that presented an opportunity to carve a few small flowers for myself.  Using small flower stamped images all over my journals is something I find myself doing a lot.  The flowers fill in backgrounds easily and add texture. They can float in the sky or create a border and of course, there are many more ideas to use small stamped flowers.
So, as I started to carve this particular flower I initially thought it would have two sets of petals on four opposing sides of the flower center. 
stamp carving small flowers 
To start I simply carved out the flower on a small piece of rubber with one pass of the gouge. When I went to check out the first carving by stamping it I loved the silhouette imagery. So, I decided to use this opportunity to stamp with it before I went any further. I grab one of my art journals and open to a blank page with some red dye ink I stamp the flower repeatedly very closely together to make a 'filled in' area. 
stamp carving small flowers
stamp carving small flowers
Nice. 
stamp carving small flowers

So, I tried a flower toss as well. 
carving july 2012 (4)stamp carving small flowers
From there I also stamped the same thing in purple on an old child's book page, I knew I could use this later in a collage.  
stamp carving small flowers
As I looked at the eight petal flower I didn't think I liked the petals so much, so I took a chance and very carefully carved an extra petal in between each pair of petals and then proceeded to carve away the remaining exterior of the rubber. 
stamp carving small flowers
It created a whole new style, shape and movement of the flower.  Now, this looks more like the perfect playful flower to use in my journals. 
stamp carving small flowers
Btw....I carved two.
Stamp carving small flower (4)
 More flowers are better than one. 
Two small flower stamps
Stamp carving small flower (3)
They are the perfect size to mount them on wine corks. 
These are going to be fantastic additions to my stamp collection and I am absolutely sure they will be well used and loved. Thanks for stopping by.

4 comments:

  1. http://autumnhathaway.blogspot.com/2012/08/random-art-journal-pages.html see the journal page beginnings with the red flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks so much Judy, they certainly are fun to stamp with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Autumn: Shared this post here: http://hollandpaper.blogspot.com/2012/09/flower-stamp-carving-tips-by-autumn.html.

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...