Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Art Journal Pages from Art Table Scraps

It was inevitable that my art table be finally cleared off.  When I finished the this much needed endeavor, I ended up with a pile of paper pieces that had been hidden and waiting for a home. Since I can hardly bare to throw away small interesting pieces of paper, I knew what I had to do to keep them from landing in another spot somewhere in my studio where I would have to deal with them later. I took that pile and opened up my art journal and a bottle of matte medium and started gluing.  I also decided to very quickly carve two small stamps to accompany my art journal page creations.  I ended up with three pages. Ta-da!!!  I loved the fact that I utilized my extra scraps and had two new stamps.
Collage Art Journal Page, Part 4
Art Journal Page Started with Collaged Paper, Part 2
Collage Page in Art Journal, Part 3
So, here is how these pages came about....
I will show the carved stamps at the bottom of the post.
The top page started like this
Collage Art Journal Page, Part 1
Like I said many small pieces of paper.
Then I added a layer of white gouache to tone down the busyness of it all.
Collage Art Journal Page, Part 2
Next I added some colored gouache to compliment the main colors on the page.
Collage Art Journal Page, Part 3
And finally I stamped on the page with my small newly hand carved stamps.
Collage Art Journal Page, Part 4
The next two pages were created with the same process.
Step one...
Art Journal Page Started with Collaged Paper, Part 1
Step two and three...
Art Journal Page Started with Collaged Paper, Part 2
And, finally step four with the stamping...this time I stamped the image in a diferent orientation creating a whole different pattern. 
Art Journal Page Started with Collaged Paper, Part 2
Again the same process. 
Step one...
Collage Page in Art Journal, Part 1
Step two and three...white gouache then colored gouache
Collage Page in Art Journal, Part 2
Then step four with the stamping to finish. Now I must admit these pages will have more added to them as I use different pens to doodle and write the events of my life. I am thinking these little raindrop shapes need to be outlined with a gel pen. 
Collage Page in Art Journal, Part 3
And, now the carved stamps. They are small but I have found that small stamps when stamped in repetition can create a lot of movement in the pattern.
Hand Carved stamp raindrop design
Hand Carved stamp raindrop design
Hand Carved stamp raindrop design
Small Hand Carved Stamp
Hand Carved stamp raindrop design
Hand Carved stamp raindrop design
I like how these two little stamps have big design possibilities. 
Hand Carved stamp raindrop design
So there you have it, three new art journal pages and two new carved stamps.
Thanks for stopping by.



3 comments:

  1. Nice and inspiring Autumn!
    I get to step 1 and need to go to step 2 more.
    Step 3 hasn't entered my art journaling yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue, I know you are just getting started with your art journaling, so I am sure you will be trying more things in the future....besides I know you have stamps ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your site and I love your art journal pages above. I just started art journaling last June. I am still trying to get a handle on my style. But your pages above are very inspiring. Thanks for sharing your talent.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...