Sunday, April 21, 2013

Mounting My Hand Carved Stamps

Hand Carved Stamps by Autumn Hathaway
With hopes of becoming  more organized in my studio, I knew it was time to get as many of my unmounted hand carved stamps onto something stable and easier to identify. 
Hand Carved Stamps by Autumn Hathaway
I use many different mounting techniques.  Primarily it has been easy for me was to just simply use double stick tape on acrylic  mounts. The problem with that is I have to attach and remove the stamp with each use and visibility is limited when trying to locate stamps when I go to use them.
Hand Carved Stamps by Autumn Hathaway
So this week I spent a day mounting my stamps on various materials. This is what I used. I like using wine corks (okay, I might just have a few...  ;D) on the small stamps. The corks make them super easy to stamp with because of the height. The small wooden blocks that are available in different sizes at the craft store are great too. On both of those I paint a coat of paint on the top before stamping the index, this gives a crisp image.
Also I use extra thick fun foam available at the craft stores. The best kind I have found are the large pieces used as floor puzzle pieces for kids, this is the blue you see in the pictures. The red you see is simply the fun foam that you can sometimes find in the extra thickness.
Hand Carved Stamps by Autumn Hathaway
Another great material to use that I learned from Michelle Ward is the garden mats that are used for kneeling on while working in your garden. One of those can go a long way. These are the pink ones you see here, they provide a nice high mounting block. I cut all the foam with a large utility blade, making sure to fully extend the blade and use a single pass when cutting to keep the foam from shredding.
Hand Carved Stamps by Autumn Hathaway
When stamping the index image on the top of the stamp I have stamped directly on the foam, but have found that fades over time. This time I stamped all the index images on white paper and used gloss Mod Podge to adhere the image on top of the stamp, making sure to give a good coat on the top for protection. I also did this on some of the painted corks for a crisper cleaner image.
Hand Carved Stamps by Autumn Hathaway
Of course, you could always use wood mounts available from different sources online or at stamp conventions.
Hand Carved Stamps by Autumn Hathaway
It feels good to have some organization and clarity in my creative space. Now.... time to stamp!

4 comments:

  1. I love your beautiful stamps. I have made some stamps by cutting out fun foam but I would love to try and make some hand carved stamps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Fuzzy, Just keep trying.

      Delete
  2. Autumn.. your stamps just amaze me. You can tell you've done MANY of them. So yummy! Great tips for mounting. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...