Friday, May 31, 2013

Gel Printing Plate, Continued.

Well, not as quickly as I had hoped but here are some more pictures of my first experience of gel plate printing. I have been focused on my daughter's prom, visiting relatives and all the other activities that keep us all so busy this time of year. The gel plate I used was a home made one. I wanted to try it out before committing to a store bought ones which are a bit of an investment. I found this YouTube video by Linda Germain,  follow those links for some great tutorials and inspiration from her work using gelatin plates for printing.
I used cut outs from Tyvek envelopes to make most of my stencils and masks because I wanted them to hold up to the moisture of the paint. I did cut out some paper but they were getting weak as I worked on more prints. The paint I used was Designers Gouache. At first, I was not too taken with the process, but as with anything you learn you have to give yourself a chance to discover more and see where it takes you. Seriously, my first couple of prints I was not captured, but I continued and the magic happened.
Gel plate mono printing
I definitely got into this gel plate printing the more I tried it. It evolved into a consuming experience. Since I devoted a whole day (and into the evening) to this new technique I think it is quite okay to admit I ended up with over fifty printed pieces.
Secondary prints are so cool too. These are made from using the residual paint on the plate and removing the stencils/masks and pulling another print. These were printed on Paris Bleed Proof paper from Borden & Riley, which is a smooth coated card stock that picks up all the tiny details of the secondary prints. Certainly not what this paper was made for but I like how it well it worked. On the primary prints I used bristol and other papers like grid paper.
Gel plate mono printing

Gel plate mono printing

Gel plate mono printing

Gel plate mono printing

Gel plate mono printing
Yes, I know it is messy, but that is normal I hope. ;-)
Gel plate mono printing

Gel plate mono printing
The masks became quite colorful and grabbed a lot of paint which would then transfer to other prints. Because of the re-hydration nature of gouache this was quite effective.
I can now see why gel plate printing is so popular in today's mixed media community.
I expect I will be doing more. I hope to have all my prints shot and uploaded onto my Flickr within a few days and will let you know, so check back or click the follow button. Thanks for stopping by. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...