Saturday, October 12, 2013

Chalkboard Art - Be Inspired

Power of thought - Chalkboard Art
Today I wanted to give you an example of the chalkboard art typography that is trending right now and demonstrate a way to actually produce something wonderful for your journal. No, you do not have to be a hand lettering typography master. I will show you how I created this in my large Strathmore Visual Journal (Mixed Media). 
But first, here are a few pictures of my art journal using the Chalkboard paint I mentioned in my previous post. Oh yes, I love this paint, it really is awesome. Here in my Moleskine sketchbook, I fully painted the two pages, however you certainly do not have do that. You can just paint in some areas of your journal pages.
Chalkboard Art
I collaged several items onto the pages using a glue stick and used Prisma colored pencils to create the chalk affect. Glue sticks works best because collaging with gel medium in a decoupage style would ruin the surface of the chalkboard paint.
Chalkboard Art

Chalkboard Art
Now.... on to the typography how-to.
I had my chalkboard pages painted and dry. I started my typography print by looking on Pinterest for some chalkboard fonts and then went and downloaded them. Yes, there are so many to choose from. I put together several including some dingbats to make this quote.

I printed out the words on basic copy paper. *I have it for download at the end of this post.
Chalkboard Art
Then I used a pencil to go over the lettering on the backside of the paper. I used a 6B pencil (soft lead) but you can certainly use a basic #2 pencil. You can see how I only covered the lead on the areas where the lettering was. Most of us probably remember this from elementary school art class. If you have trouble seeing through to the front of the printed text place the paper on a window to see where you are working (of course this would be done in daylight ;D). 
Next, I placed the print on top of my prepared chalkboard page, positioned it and used a light tack tape to secure it into place. I actually used washi tape, it removes easily, but painters blue tape would work well too. Then, using a very sharp 8H pencil hard lead pencil I traced over the entire quote. You could use a #2 pencil for this too, you will just need to keep your pencil point very sharp to capture all the detail of fonts. 
Chalkboard Art

Once the quote is completely transferred to the chalkboard painted page (check to make sure you have it all transferred before removing the taped page), remove the printed page. Next use a white Prisma colored pencil to make your chalk typography lettering. Here too, you want to keep your white colored pencil very sharp for the detailed areas. Some places will need a duller point of the pencil like the outside of the word 'power'. Play with it a bit but, take your time. 
Chalkboard Art

You will be astonished how you can create some gorgeous chalkboard typography in your art journal.
Power of thought - Chalkboard Art

Here is your copy of this wonderful statement.
Download this page for your use by right clicking on top of this quote
and save copy as a jpeg.


2 comments:

  1. You give such fun ideas and for free too!
    Totally missing you at that place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sue, miss you too. Loved my card by Diane that talented painter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...